- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- Canola oil for deep frying
- 3 cups peeled, cored and coarsely chopped apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Make the batter – In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp salt. Beat in the milk just until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat the oil – Pour the oil to a depth of 2 inches into a deep, heavy frying pan over high heat and heat to 350 degrees F on a deep-frying thermometer. Line a plate with paper towels and set next to the stove.
- Deep-fry the fritters – Stir the apples into the batter. Working in batches, scoop up 1 heaping tablespoon of the apple batter and use another spoon to slide it into the hot oil. Repeat to add more fritters to the oil; do not crowd the pan. Deep-fry using tongs to turn once, until the fritters are just golden on all sides, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the paper towels to drain.
- Dust and Serve – Dust the fritters lightly with powdered sugar and serve at once
Makes: 8 servings