• English
    • French
    • German
    • Italian
    • Portuguese
    • Spanish
Book Now

History



history-of-the-glynn-house-inn-ashland-nhToday: The Glynn House Inn is located on a quiet residential street. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. A five-minute walk brings visitors to the quaint village of Ashland. Inn buildings include sweeping porches, offering guests pleasant areas to relax and enjoy the fresh country air. The elegant Victorian sitting room provides a place to visit with other guests during the cooler months. The Innkeepers offer pampering amenities, delicious food, uncompromising service and genuine hospitality.

The Beginning: Frank L. Hughes originally constructed the buildings, which now house the Glynn House Inn, in 1896. The Hughes family moved into their new home the same year. The location was in an area known as “Millionaires Row”.

A Carriage House was added after the main building was completed.  The Hughes family decided to create a residence for their caretaker in 1920 and moved the Carriage House to its current position – approximately 140 feet behind the main house – over a weekend. Workers lifted the building with jacks, rolled logs under the structure, released the jacks and pulled the house to its new position.

1st Innkeepers: Over the years, the main house has been the residence of a number of prominent local families. Karol and Betsy Paterman acquired the main building from the owner of the Ashland textile mill in 1987 and spent almost two years redecorating. They installed some fireplaces, a commercial kitchen and bathrooms. The Inn opened for business in 1989.

The Paterman’s acquired today’s Carriage House from the Shaw family in 1990. Bob Shaw had owned the building for 22 years.  He wanted to spend part of the year in Florida, and needed the proceeds from the sale to buy a Florida home. The Paterman’s spent over a year installing guest facilities. They earned coveted three star ratings from Mobil prior to selling.

2nd Innkeepers: Gaye and Jim Dunlop purchased the Inn in 2001. The Dunlop’s transformed guest and public room décor. They also added a range of amenities including additional fireplaces, double whirlpool baths and central air conditioning. They acquired membership in the coveted Select Registry Group.

3rd Innkeepers: The Heidenreich family acquired the inn in 2006. Their search for the ‘perfect’ bed and breakfast lasted 20 months and spanned five countries. Pam and Ingrid’s culinary and creative skills, coupled with Glenn’s global corporate experience, have equipped them to further enhance the high standards guests have come to expect. They’ve also secured membership in the prestigious Diamond Collection and the Karen Brown Guide.